What causes heart to stop for a second and become normal with normal ECG?

I have recently noticed that sometimes my heart seems to stop for a second then goes back to normal... I have had a ECG and it came back normal
Posted Mon, 16 Dec 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 24 minutes later
Brief Answer: Respiratory Sinus Arrythmia - Your Answer Detailed Answer: Dear Friend, I guess you found it while trying to explore what your pulse says!!! You must be checking your pulse, when you found this. Yes you are right and you feel right, but good news is that there is nothing wrong. It is actually a normal phenomenon of our body. And we call it "Respiratory Sinus Arrythmia". Respiratory sinus arrhythmia is a naturally occurring variation in heart rate that occurs during a breathing cycle. There is a slight increase in heart rate during inspiration, which you feel when you are feeling your pulse, and when you expire, it slows down back, which you feel as "it stops for a second". If you don't trust me, just check, hold your pulse, take a deep inspiration, and feel the magic.!! And its better felt if you will do it on your friend. Moreover, you got your ECG done, and it is normal. Infact sinus arrythmias are also demonstrable on ECG. Still if you have a doubt, go to your physician and get a proper examination. I hope I am able to satisfy your query!! Stay Healthy