What causes heart palpitations inspite of taking medicines for hypothyroidism?

Infectious Diseases Specialist
Never felt my hypothroidism was treated - taking 75 mg Levothyroxin, but still have all the hypo symptoms. tried supplementing with 12.5 mg Iodine and Potassium Iodide daily but am experiencing heart palpitations after six days on Iodine supplement. TSH is 1.5 but T3 is very low. What can I do?
Posted Mon, 24 Mar 2014 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Fatbardha Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Discuss with doctor to rule out Low T3 syndrome... Detailed Answer: Hi, I have gone through your query carefully and understood your concerns. You are having heart palpitations because of over-taking of thyroid therapy (especially when it comes to iodine and potassium supplementation). The aim of treating hypothyroidism is to keep TSH within the normal range (as you are greatly doing now). For the time being, as long as TSH is within the normal range, I suggest to discuss with your doctor to stop taking potassium supplementation until improvement of heart palpitations. With regards to having very low T3 level, I'd suggest to discuss further with endocrinologist to re-evaluate your current health situation in order to rule out Low T3 syndrome (which has nothing to do with hypothyroidism). Hope it was of help! Dr.Sejdini