What causes heart murmurs and increased pulse rate ?

For a while now my heart will race randomly while at rest. My pulse will get as high as 100-103 during this time then go back to 75-80. When it races, it gives me a headache and nauseous feeling. I am 43 year old female about 5 lbs overweight (145 lbs 5'3") I am very athletic. I run (6mph) or bike (15-17mph) at least 60 min 5-6 days a week. so even a 75 pulse seems high. My blood pressure is almost always normal but it has fluctuated from low normal to high normal. I was told over 10 years ago I had a heart murmur but I don't know what type and was told it was nothing to worry about. For the last 3 years, I have had bloodwork done CBC, TSH, etc. The only thing that seems to change is the TSH. It went from 1.2 to .8 to .57 over three years. I haven't had it checked for 10 months. but it it still in the normal range. My hematocrit is always borderline low normal as well. I feel tired a lot but don't have any other symptoms. I take multivitamin supplement everyday as well as an extra Calcium with Vit. D supplement and a probiotic. I don't use drugs, alcohol or smoke.
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later
Thanks for posting your query. Your TSH has been hovering around the lower limit of the normal. It makes sense to do a Free T3 and Free T4 levels as these are much more sensitive markers of hyperthyroidism which I believe needs to be ruled out. Hyperthyroidism is one of the important causes of palpitations.

The type of murmur also needs to be delineated. rapid heart rate. It makes sense to get an echocardiography again.

A slightly low hemoglobin is another common culprit in causing the heart rate to go up. Getting a hemoglobin level done again and taking drugs to improve the hemoglobin level helps in preventing the rapid heart rate.

Importantly, continue running and cycling as these are extremely good aerobic exercises in preventing any major heart problem.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.