What causes heart burn and acid reflux while suffering from diabetes and generalized anxiety?

May 2014

I have been having bad heart burn and acid reflex the past week. it seems like every other night and it seems to happen worse after certain foods or if I eat a lot. I have had some gas associated with it but its not as bad as the heartburn. I don't have any abfominal or chest pain, my blood pressure is normal and has been normal everytime these symptoms occur. and I don't seem to have heart burn during the day, its just of an evening. I am a type 1 diabetic and suffer from generalized anxiety so when this happens it gets my mind rolling and it kind of snow balls from there and I worry. do I guess I was just trying to male sure its nothing serious or life threatening. I had been using pepto bismol often. prior to these symptoms. its aleays my go to if I get a slight stomach ache or heartburn. I've always had mild heartburn due to my anciety and only seemed to get heart burn during times I was tense or having anciety attacks. so I just didn't know if this was just a result to my excessive anciety. thank you
Posted Fri, 27 Dec 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Please find detailed answer below Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Thanks for writing in to us. I have read through your query in detail. It looks like you do have a problem with gastric acidity for a while and your anxiety levels are no doubt exaggerating the situation. If your anxiety is such that your daily activities are getting affected, I suggest you consult with a psychiatrist and start taking psychological counseling and medications if necessary. You can also decrease your anxiety by involving yourself in certain mind relaxation techniques like meditation. Addressing your heart burn and associate problems, it would be right for you to list out the foods which are causing the feeling of heart burn and cut down on spicy and hot foods for a while. Please avoid alcohol for sometime. Also it is recommended that you take small feeds at regular intervals. Please do not go fasting for more than 6 hours at a time during the day. An upper gastrointestinal endoscopy may be done if necessary and for peace of mind. This will pick up any ulcer in your esophagus, stomach or duodenum. However, ulcers are not very likely in you. Hope your query is answered. Do write back if you have any doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek