What causes headache starting from left temple to middle of head?

Pathologist and Microbiologist
Question
my wife is complaining headache only on left side starting from within the ear behind the temple till centre of head. she is feeling slightly dizzy too. she says she can feel a nerve that is paining. please help
Posted Thu, 27 Feb 2014 in Headache and Migraines

Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Giant cell arterits is most probable diagnosis Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX Headache starting from left temple to middle of head along with feeling a 'nerve' like structure is very suggestive of giant cell arteritis. Giant cell arteritis is a large vessel vasculitis. Vasculitis is inflammation of vessel wall. Giant cell arteritis characteristically involves temporal vein. Thus the 'nerve' like structure that you are feeling is actually the thickened vein. The condition is diagnosed by investigations like erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR) and temporal vein biopsy. However, giant cell arteritis is most probable possibility on the basis of history. A clinical examination is mandatory. Consult your physician for clinical examination and relevant investigations for diagnosis and treatment. If you have more queries, I will be glad to answer. Dr Shailja P Wahal

Follow-up: What causes headache starting from left temple to middle of head? 5 hours later
thanks for the reply. can you please let me know. why this happens, is it concerning and will it be cured with medication

Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 15 hours later
Brief Answer: Autoimmune disease & can be managed by medication Detailed Answer: Hello and welcome again, Giant cell arteritis is an autoimmune disease characterised by production of auto-antibodies against the vessel wall. The cause for this autoimmune disease is not exactly known. Giant cell arteritis belongs to the group of diseases called vasculitis. Vasculitis implies inflammation of the vessel wall. This disease can be controlled by medication. If you have more queries, I will be glad to answer. Dr Shailja P Wahal