What causes headache and swelling in my fingers after using nicotine inhaler?

I quit smoking, after 34 years, on Nov 5. 2013. About 9 days ago, we thought it was my withdrawal, was making me unnaturally emotional, depressed, and very angry. My husband convinced me to use a nicotine inhaler. I only used one 4 mg cartridge per 24 hour period. I did that and now I'm waking up with fingers swelled (lately swelling not dissapating), extreme headaches after exertion (and numbness and tingling in head, fingers, toes, arms - all after exertion). Most of all this all started yesterday. I had a cat scan at critical care place and ekg. Both normal. Any direction to follow that you recommend?
Posted Sat, 1 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Can be due to Vitamin B 12 deficiency. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for trusting us with your health concern. The sudden headache and swelling of the fingers with numbness could be due to Vitamin B 12 deficiency compression of the nerve roots due to carpal tunnel syndrome anxiety and stress. most of the times such symptoms are short lasting and are self limiting. You can take a mild over the counter pain killer like acetaminophen for headache. Starting with Vitamin B 12 supplements will also be helpful. Do decrease your salt intake also. In case the symptoms are persistent or are associated with blue discoloration of the finger tips then do consult your physician immediately. Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Rakhi Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL