What causes headache after sneezing?

ENT Specialist
Hi. Yesterday I had a sneezing fit. Then, a headache on one side of my head right afterward, near the temple. I took a Benadryl and it eased the headache. I still felt some pain when I coughed a little. Then, it was gone. Today, I sneezed again, the pain came back on the same side, and when I blew my nose there was a small amount of blood from the nostril on the side of the headache. Now, it's gone. What the heck's going on? Sinusitis? Thank you!
Posted Sun, 26 Jan 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 17 minutes later
Brief Answer: Sinus headache Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for your query. 1. The headache after sneezing is most likely to be a sinus headache. 2. The Benadryl will help control the allergy and sneezing. Keep your mouth open while sneezing. 3. It would be ideal to get the nose examined, though a slight blood bleeding should not be a cause for worry. Its just that a one sided bleeding must be examined closely. 4. Decongestant medication may help. This will require a prescription. 5. If this does not subside in an few days, a nasal endoscopy and a sinus x-ray will help rule out sinusitis. I hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be available to answer them. Regards.