What causes hardness in breasts?

Apr 2014

I have notice both my breasts have become bigger and a little harder in the last week. My left upper chest is harder and more swollen. I haven't lifted or done anything to strain this area. Just wondering what it could be. I am 42.
Posted Thu, 6 Feb 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: It may be due to inflammation,tumour etc. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Thanks for writing to us You need proper clinical examination by a surgeon and need few investigations. Any breast lump shouldn't be ignored.Hardness may be due to inflammation,tumour etc. During examination it is important to examine consistency,margin,number,overlying skin etc.It is also very important to examine lymph nodes. After proper clinical examination,mammography should be done combined with sonography of the breasts.It will detect the lesions.MRI breast is needed in few cases. Ultrasonography of abdomen can be done if needed. Routine investigations like routine hemogram,RBS should also be done. However musculoskeletal cause of swelling should also be excluded. Proper treatment depend upon clinical findings and investigation reports. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX