What causes hard lump above the incision area after hernia surgery?

Question
I recently had hernia surgery in the right groin area and I now have a hard lump about an inch above the incision area, what could cause this?
Posted Tue, 4 Feb 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Brief answer.....given below Detailed answer.... Hello, Thanks for the query. Your lump looks to be a seroma. Seroma is accumulation of fluid in the tissue or organ that occurs after the surgery. The fluid called as serum leaks out of nearby damaged blood vessels and lymphatics. Other possibilities of hard lump are hematoma or a pus collection but hematoma generally forms soon after the surgery and it is collection of blood. While pus formation is associated with local warmth,redness and pain over the swelling. Since you are not complaining  of any pain or tenderness and your lump has appeared after many days of surgery,it should be a seroma. Small seromas generally resolve of their own while big seromas require aspiration. Consult your doctor for the physical examination ,diagnosis and management. I hope it helps,however you may revert to me for any further query. Best of luck Thanks