What causes hand pain after a gym workout?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I had a strain in my right wrist three years back but suddenly there is a pain in the whole had starting from wristt till the Shoulder. Please suggest some measures to curb this problem. It pains a lot when i take support of my right palm on the floor or when I do Pull ups in the Gym.
Posted Sat, 1 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer: It could be possibly due to muscle or tendon issue Detailed Answer: Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX Your 3 years back strain is no way related to your present symptoms. They could be most propably due to a muscle strain or tendon sprain during your workouts. The general treatment guidelines for your condition are as follows - - Stop the activity that is producing pain and rest the injured joint or muscle. Absolute rest from activity for the first 48 to 72 hours is necessary - Apply ice wrapped in a damp towel to the painful area for 15 to 20 minutes every two to three hours during the day. Do not allow the ice to touch your skin directly because it could cause a cold burn. - Take ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin) or acetaminophen (Tylenol) to help relieve pain and inflammation - Use heat only when you are returning to physical activity. Then use it before stretching. Gentle heating can help loosen the muscle - When the acute pain is gone, start gentle stretching exercises. Stay within pain limits. Hold each stretch for about 10 seconds and repeat 6 times. - Physical therapy may speed up the recovery process. Therapeutic modalities such as Ultrasound, Massaging and specific exercises will be helpful. If your symptoms are not resolving with the above measures, you should consult an orthopedic surgeon for a detailed clinical examination and further management. Hope I have addressed your query. Happy to guide you further Regards
Follow-up: What causes hand pain after a gym workout? 34 minutes later
The pain is in the whole hand. Starting from Wrist till shoulder. previously on the doctor's advise I went through xray screening, but there was nothing detected. I tried the normal streaching excercise as well but it does not work. The pain becomes more when I do any physical excercise which involve wheight or push from right hand. Can you please suggest a specialist for such type of problem. I live in Central Delhi.
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 11 minutes later
Brief Answer: You need a detailed clinical examination. Detailed Answer: Hi, Nice to hear from you. A continuous shooting pain along the entire upper limb, unrelated to any movements could be possibly due to a nerve stretching. If the pain is occuring during any movements of the limb, then it is related to either muscle or tendon problems. In either of the above cases, Xray screening will be normal or nothing could be detected (as in your case). I suggest you to consult an orthopedic surgeon initially and if he could not detect any problem, then approach a Neurophysician. Hope I have justified your query. Good day