What causes hair loss when on levothyroxine?
User rating for this question
Dear Dr, I have been taking .25-.50 levothyroxine for 5 weeks, and now my hair is starting to shed. Is this because of being hypothyroid, the medication,or the illness/shock? Will it grow back? ( I have long thick hair!) Also, my digestion is slowed a great deal. What is the best time to take the medicine? Some people say morning, others say at night. What has been your experience with patients?
Posted Fri, 24 Jan 2014 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Minal Mohit 1 hour later
Brief Answer: hair loss can be due to hypothyroidism. Detailed Answer: Dear ma'm, Hair loss , constipation are both common in hypothyroidism. your recent thyroid status is not shown in your query so i cannot comment upon adequacy of the dose. hair loss due to hypothyroidism will come back once thyroid status is normal. best time to take the drug is early morning , empty stomach, and observe another 30 minutes of fast after the drug. Regards!
People also viewed
- What illness causes hair loss
- What causes hair loss in men
- Concussion causes
- Stuttering causes
- What is the cause and treatment for hair loss
- Drugs/medication for stuttering
- Does hyperthyroidism effect my liver
- Side effect from thyroid itchiness
- Symptoms of aneuploidy
- What antidepressants cause hair loss
- Thyroxine sodium effect on liver
- Diagnosis of worms
- What causes hair loss when on levothyroxine
- Hrt effect on stools
- Positive effects as qlaira as hrt