What causes hair loss when on levothyroxine?

Dear Dr, I have been taking .25-.50 levothyroxine for 5 weeks, and now my hair is starting to shed. Is this because of being hypothyroid, the medication,or the illness/shock? Will it grow back? ( I have long thick hair!) Also, my digestion is slowed a great deal. What is the best time to take the medicine? Some people say morning, others say at night. What has been your experience with patients?
Posted Fri, 24 Jan 2014 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Minal Mohit 1 hour later
Brief Answer: hair loss can be due to hypothyroidism. Detailed Answer: Dear ma'm, Hair loss , constipation are both common in hypothyroidism. your recent thyroid status is not shown in your query so i cannot comment upon adequacy of the dose. hair loss due to hypothyroidism will come back once thyroid status is normal. best time to take the drug is early morning , empty stomach, and observe another 30 minutes of fast after the drug. Regards!