What causes growth of facial hair?

Pathologist and Microbiologist
Hello. I have facial hair growth which has increased in the last 5 years, especially the chin area. The hair is very strong, like men's facial hair, both dark and blonde, some kind of ginger colour, and it hurts when I pluck them. After one day of removing already I can feel it starts growing again and the skin of my chin is already damaged and inflamed because of the plucking. I need to cover it with a heavy concealer cream to hide the patches. What can I do to get rid of this?? I do probably have PCOS, I never got tested about it but on the ultrasonic my gynecologist showed me that my ovaries were full of cystes. This was several years ago. I have never had a regular menstruation either. I tried several birth control pills which made the period come regularly but as soon as I stopped taking them it goes back to (un)normal. Now I am on a pill that is called Cerazette and I do not have a period at all. What should I do to get rid of it? I heard that lasering the areas might not help because it is a lot of light/blond hair which the laser won't remove. Should I do a special diet or what do you suggest? Please give me an advice, I would be extremely thankful for your help. Thank you very much! XXXXXXX
Posted Fri, 14 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 50 minutes later
Brief Answer: Polycystic ovarian syndrome needs to be treated Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX First of all you need to under go gynecological examination and relevant blood tests for confirming polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS). PCOS is associated with hormonal imbalance in which testosterone levels and LH levels are increased. It is this increase in testosterone which is responsible for growth of facial hair. Treatment of PCOS will reverse these changes. So, first you need to treat the basic cause of the symptoms. If you have more queries, I will be glad to answer. Dr Shailja P Wahal