What causes gritty menstrual bleeding ?

I am having gritty menstrual bleeding. Is this normal? I am 33 and have never had normal periods. I am 5'4" and weigh 115lbs. and I have Crohn's disease.
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Vidya Muralidhar 10 minutes later

By "gritty" menstrual bleed , if you meant , rough, clots,and unusual bleeding , I would say if it is the first episode do not worry , and if it the first day of the cycle , some disturbances and flow changes in the cycle is normal.

It would be wise to see a gynecologist and get an XXXXXXX per vaginal examination done. Sometimes a vaginal infection could be the likely cause for such a cycle .This may need a dose of antibiotics after examining the discharge on your non menstrual days.

I would also suggest you drink lots of fluid daily and keep your diet a little bland for a few days, and watch the next cycles carefully .

A recent miscarriage , one or two months ago , may cause some shedding of the uterine tissue in the menses , which may seem like gritty periods ,If this is the case , a re assurance from a gynecologist after examining you would help you.

I hope I have answered your query , I would be available for follow up queries as well.
Follow-up: What causes gritty menstrual bleeding ? 14 hours later
I also forgot to mention that I only have half of my cervix due to pre-cancerous cells. Does that change anything?
Answered by Dr. Vidya Muralidhar 38 minutes later
Hi again,

I would be able to consider the fact and answer you better if you could provide some more information on the cervical pathology along with

1) The exact diagnosis of the cervical lesion and when was the same determined?
2) The duration of the illness ?
3) Details of any treatment procedures if undergone?
4) Is the problem of gritty bleeding and irregular periods since then ?

Will wait for the information .