What causes grinding noise in head while sleeping?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I get a grinding noise in my head while sleeping. Often many times in the night. Sometimes, just before waking, I get tremors like flutters across the cheeks. What could cause these? neurological?
Posted Thu, 30 Jan 2014 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Can be due to ear problem. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. The grinding noise in the head is most commonly caused by blocked ear canal by wax or infection. It can also be indicative of a middle ear disease. There may be a damage to the nerve endings responsible for hearing due to aging. You need a thorough evaluation by an ENT specialist as there are various causes for these symptoms and they can be ruled out only after a Physical Examination. Once the cause is confirmed, you will be treated accordingly. Till then avoid caffeine and smoking. You can also add Zinc and Ginkgo Biloba supplements to your diet for relief. The flutters in the cheek are likely to be due to Vitamin B 12 deficiency fluid and electrolyte imbalance or due to neurological causes. Few blood tests will help in detecting the cause. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL
Follow-up: What causes grinding noise in head while sleeping? 56 minutes later
BDA-041-0000 Could I rule out some of these? I eat meat and dairy daily, take zinc supplements, don't smoke or drink alcohol. My hearing is good. Cheek flutters and grinding occur at night. Grinding in centre of head. If I lie on my left the cheek sensations are on the right and vice versa.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Difficult to rule out at home. Detailed Answer: Hello. Thanks for writing again. The neurological causes and ENT problems are difficult to rule out at home. This needs a clinical examination and a few blood investigations to find out the cause. meanwhile you can start with methylcobalamin supplements and keep your ear canals clean. See if these measures help you. Hope my answer is helpful. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health. Regards