What causes grey colored mucus from the nose ?

when I do my sinus rinse, I notice that I sometimes get grey muscus from my nose. I am not sure if its from my eyeliner. Please advise
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 33 minutes later

Greyish colored mucus if it is very mild in color and occurs only occasionally then it is not of much clinical significance.

I do not think that it is connected to your eyeliner as the conjunctival sac and sinuses are not anatomically connected.The occasional change in color can be due to-

1. Cigarette smoking.
2. Marijuana or cocaine smoking.
3.History of exposure to coal or soot.
4. Excessive air pollution.

In any case it does not indicate any medical condition and do not need any treatment.

I hope you have found my answer and recommendations to be both adequate and helpful. Should you have additional questions I am available to address them.