What causes green watery stools and hematuria when suffering from cancer?

my 87 yr old husband has colon, liver, spleen and lung cancer. He has a colostomy bag. Lately his stools have been watery (that is pretty usual for him) but they have green in it. Also I am finding blood in his urine. his oxygen level an hour ago was 82%. Should I take him to the hospital?
Posted Thu, 13 Feb 2014 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Transit time reduced, UTI Detailed Answer: Good Day XXXX Thank you for asking. I am Dr S Khan and i would like to help you with your husband's concerns for green watery stools and hematuria. Miss XXXXXXX Colon gives usually the stay to the remaining feces and thus time to get in shape. With colostomy bag the thickness reduces to water and that is why we recommend to take constipated fibrous diet and alot of care for electrolytes. And regarding the green color dont worry, It is bile in it. Usually bile color is readjusted by colon flora but again colostomy decreasing transit time results in this color so no worries for that. Just Monitor electrolytes and have a very good care of skin around colostomy bag. Now the blood in urine / hematuria is some thing to consider. It mostly look like a Urinary tract infection as geriatric age with that much morbidity predisposes to it. There might be other possibilities but less odds for them. And drop in oxygen saturation to 82% is also not a good omen to wait. So yes you should go to the hospital and get him evaluated for this hematuria and some work up. Rest you should know the prognosis. Age of 87 with such troublesome issues have a tendency to take lives. I wish you good luck. Miss XXXXXXX hope this answer finds you in good faith. Kindly let me know if there is any thing to ask, Take very good care of your husband and yourself. Dont forget Please close the discussion and rate the answer as per your experience. Regards Dr S Khan
Follow-up: What causes green watery stools and hematuria when suffering from cancer? 21 hours later
I did take him to the ER and he has CHF. They are taking the fluid off from around the heart now, he has 02 on. They did find some fluid around his lung also. Might be coming home tomorrow. But don't know for sure yet. Thank you for your quick response.
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 10 hours later
Brief Answer: Happy to help Detailed Answer: Thank you for the quick response XXXX I am so happy to see the congestion disgnosed earlier and managed. fluids need to be readjusted to prevent fluid overloads in future. Geriatric age has very fragile limitations and none need to be exceeded. Earlier and quicker responses will help and keep one out of trouble. Thank you very much for being so compliant to my advice. Take care of your husband and yourself and dont forget to close the discussion please. regards Dr S XXXXXXX