What causes grand mal seizures prior to peiods?

Hi XXXX. My 25 year old daughter has grand mal seizures during 2 days before her periods, 1 during and about a day after. During her at the em. the Dr gave her 10 pills of dilantin { 100mg} each The next morn she woke up screaming tellin me she could not see.Her skin had turned very pale and she started screaming. This occures during 2 weeks before her periods. Never did before, Question what cause this. Yes I did take her back to the same Dr. Yes it was in her chart she was allergst to dilantin. Yes other dr have witness her durning pale only to ask me " what is she doing!
Posted Wed, 19 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Prasad 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Phenytoin (dilantin) effects indeed... Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX I went through the details you provided. Dilantin loading is essential following an episode of grand mal seizure. The loading dosage is tolerated well by most individual; however a few don't tolerate it well. Skin changes and visual problems are listed side effects.If it wasn't from allergy, it may have been due to toxicity. Was serum phenytoin levels checked after the episode? And was she seen by an ophthalmologist / dermatologist? Has she had seizure episodes in the past? If yes was she on phenytoin (dilantin) earlier If she has not been on dilantin, then what you saw on the chart was recorded after the event. I hope she is on another anticonvulsant such as levetiracetam or valproate to prevent seizures now. Hope I have answered your question. Let me know if you need any other information.