What causes genital Herpes?

HIV AIDS Specialist
I have an itch in my penis -- a sensation during urination but not really painful. I have been diagnosed with Herpes? Any suggestions??
Posted Mon, 24 Feb 2014 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 59 minutes later
Brief Answer: Yeast,Trichomonas,early Herpes can cause itching Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for posting your query. There are many causes for itching of penis from non-STD to STD causes. I would like to know whether you are having Diabetes Mallitus. This would predispose many non-STD and STD conditions. You had not mentioned anything about your sexual activities. If you have phimosis (Difficulty in retracting the foreskin), and if you are not able to clean the inner aspect of foreskin and Glans penis, that is the foremost cause for penile itching and you have to hold urine inside the foreskin and release is the immediate solution. Subsequent circumcision is suggested. Genital Herpes is likely to manifest with itching in the prodromal (before the appearance of the lesion) stage. Trichomonas infestation will have mild itching and sensation. Yeast infection of penis will also have itching sensation and is predisposed by Diabetes. In Genital scabies itching will be severe. As I had mentioned earlier there are certain other non-STD skin conditions also can manifest with itching. If you consult a Dermatologist he/she will examine you and guide you for further investigations and treatment. Dr S.Murugan
Follow-up: What causes genital Herpes? 15 days later
Follow up question: As stated, I have been diagnosed with Herpes. Have never had a lesion? When can I expect to see one after the inching starts and what if anything can be done about the lesions? ? Thanks
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Herpes antibodies may be present without lesion Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome back. You had been diagnosed to have Herpes. What type of test you had undergone? Whether the herpes is diagnosed as type 1 or type 2. Type 1 usually transmitted through non-venereal route and lesions found appeared in and around mouth and nose rarely near eyes whereas Type 2 infection occurs in and around anus and genitals. Usually the itching sensation will not lasting for more than three days prior to appearance of lesions. Herpes Ig G denotes a old infection and Ig M appear following a newer infection. Antibodies against Herpes may likely to be present in the absence of lesion. Dr S.Murugan