What causes frequent urination?

Question
HI, MY FATHER WHO IS 80 YEARS OLD , 2 WEEKS AGO HE HAD CYSTOCSCOPY AS HE HAS A ENLARGED PROSTATE AND IS WAITING TO HAVE THE GREEN LIGHT LASER , FROM THIS HE GOT A URINE INFECTION AND ACUTE KIDNEY INJURY AND DEHYDRATED AND WENT HOSPITAL, HE HAS NOW COME HOME AND IS TAKING ORAL ANTIBIOTICS. HE IS GETTING BETTER, BUT HAS BEEN GETTING UP EVERY 20 MIN TO GO TO THE TOILET .HE THINKS HE SHOULD CUT DOWN HIS FLUIDS AS IT MAKES HIM GO TO THE TOILET TO OFTEN, BUT BECAUSE OF HIS KIDNEYS I'VE BEEN TRYING TO MAKE HIM DRINK MORE WATER. HE GOES TO THE TOILET A LOT ANYHOW BECAUSE OF HIS PROSTATE PROBLEM, COULD YOU GIVE ME ADVICE ON HOW MUCH WATER HE SHOULD DRINK AND WILL HIS KIDNEYS GO BACK TO NORMAL. I KNOW THE REASON HE GOT SICK AFTER THE PROCEDURE WAS BECAUSE HE DIDN'T DRINK ENOUGH WATER, HE WAS ALSO TAKING PERINDOPRIL FOR HIS BLOOD PRESSURE, WHICH THE DOCTORS HAVE TAKEN HIM OFF BECAUSE OF HIS KIDNEYS BUT HE HAD ONLY BEEN TAKING THEM FOR A COUPLE OF MONTHS. THANKS FOR YOUR TIME. REGARDS XXXX HATS A GOOD DIET FOR SOMEONE IN DADS CONDITION, HE DOES IT HEALTHY AND EXERCISES BUT HE SMOKES
Posted Mon, 17 Mar 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Lohit K 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Salt & protein restriction, good hydration Detailed Answer: Hi Sharron, thanks for using HCM. I went through the query and under stood your concern. 1. About PERINDOPRIL: The drug mainly act with the help of renal function. Since he is suffering from kidney injury and infection your doctor might have taken off. So you need to monitor for his BP and if raised other drug can be prescribed in place of it. 2. Frequency of urination: a. Is your father prescribed any drug like thiazide or furosemide (lasix) as these will increase the frequency, decrease blood pressure and helps in renal condition. If so the frequency will be mainly due to the drugs. b. UTI also leads to increase frequency. So since he is on treatment for UTI with antibiotics increase urination will help the drug to go and act in the urinary tract. The frequency will disappear with recovery. c. Never reduce drinking water. His hydration should be good. The frequency will not reduce if he is on any diuretic (urine forming drug) or till recovery of infection, instead he may get dehydration and other problem. Hydration depends on the amount of urine formation. The intake should be more than output (200-300ml). Diet: Give him soft food, avoid protein and salt rich food for some time. Food rich in carbohydrate can be given (Rice, Bread etc) Stop smoking: The first management is to stop smoking. I hope this information helps you. Feel free to ask if any further related queries and I will be glad to answer them. Wish you and your dad a good health and faster recovery. Regards