Ask a Urologist   »  

What causes frequent urination, difficulty emptying bladder and discomfort while passing urine when tested negative for UTI?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2016
Jul 2016

Urologist
Question
I am a 39 year old female who is experiencing frequent urination, difficulty emptying bladder and discomfort when urinating. Not real pain. I have been tested for UTI twice but both negative. 4 weeks ago I started taking citalopram for anxiety and wondering if it is related, or could it be interstitial cystitis. I have an appointment for a scope but not until January. Wondering what I can do to improve my symptoms and if I should look at my medication as a cause.
Posted Mon, 16 Dec 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer: It is unlikely to be due to Interstitial Cystitis, Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for your query,based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have increased frequency of urination ,incomplete emptying of bladder and discomfort while passing urine, 1) Do you have other urinary symptoms like urgency for passing urine? 2) Do you have severe pain while passing urine? 3) Do you have fever ? 4)Do you have pain in abdomen while passing urine ? or after passing urine? 5) Have you done your urine culture? This is unlikely to be Interstitial cystitis as in IC one gets severe pain while passing urine . The Citalopram belongs to SSRTI group of drug which is not known to have these side effects. Please take Urinary antiseptics like Nitrofurantoin along with urinary anti spasmodic like Floavoxate twice daily Ensure to drink more water.This will help to keep your urine alkaline and also to reduce dysuria. Hope I have answered your query. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask me I shall be happy to help you . Thanks and Regards. Dr.Patil. . This

Follow-up: What causes frequent urination, difficulty emptying bladder and discomfort while passing urine when tested negative for UTI? 18 minutes later
Thank you for your quick response. I did take a course of antibiotics that did not help. This started during my last menstrual cycle (which was heavier than normal), and recently I noticed that after having an orgasm I was highly senstive for over 12 hours. I actually used an ice pack to help (sorry forgot to mention this before). There is no pain in the bladder or when I urinate. I feel the need to urinate, only urinate small amounts and find that I constantly feel the need to urinate. Are you stating this could be due to nerves or spasm?

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 19 minutes later
Brief Answer: This could be due to spasms of the bladder Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for feedback.You have urge to pass urine ,this is likely to be due to what is called as Over Active Bladder syndrome.(OAB) or Cystitis. Please get your routine urine test and urine culture done to find out the organisms causing this infection and antibiotics to which they are sensitive to. Please take broad spectrum antibiotics like Cefotaxime along with urinary antiseptic like Nitrofurantoin twice daily Please get your routine urine test and urine culture done to find out the organisms causing this infection and antibiotics to which they are sensitive to. Please take broad spectrum antibiotics like Cefotaxime and urinary antiseptic like Nitrofurantoin twice daily and anti spasmodic drug like Flavoxate twice daily .Later on switch on to appropriate antibiotics as per culture report. Get the prescription of medicines from your family Physician. Ensure to drink more water.To keep your urine dilute This will help to control dysuria. Dr.Patil.and urine alkaliser thrice daily.with and later on switch on to appropriate antibiotics as per culture report. Get the prescription of medicines from your family Physician. Ensure to drink more water.To keep your urine dilute This will help to control dysuria. Dr.Patil.