What causes frequent mucus discharge from throat?

ENT Specialist
Question
My age is 27 year male. i have a question regarding my sore throat it has been 3 and a half year ago since i am feeling some sensation in right side of my throat corner near tonsil . there is a frequent mucus formation only from that side. All this start 3 and a half year ago on may 2010 when i went through a ROOT CANAL TREATMENT of my right molar tooth. RTC was successfull but after one month i started feeling something in my right side throat at the corner just below the tonsil. I went to an ENT specialist he gave me some antibiotics and pain killer for 15 day. bt it was not completely gone . since i got scared and i didn't went to any doc till now. But now i get rid of this. I heard about EAGLE SYNDROME. IS it may be this. I can some whitish patch on corner. Although that king of whitsh i found on left corner bt at right side it seems more. Sometimes it got little sensation sometimes i feel little sweeling or sensation i m unable to explain what it exactly is like i am feeling today but after 2 or 3 days it will gone. There are frequent cought or thick mucus get produced some time when i feel that sensation. i am tired of this since last 3.5 year. Plz help me. thanking you with regards ...
Posted Wed, 19 Mar 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 19 hours later
Brief Answer: As below: Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for your query. 1. Eagle's Syndrome is not accompanied by a mucus discharge. Eagle's Syndrome results from an elongated Styloid Process and can be assessed by X-rays, Scans and direct palpation of the tonsil area. Comparing the length of the Styloid Processes on both sides will help decide whether it is the source of the sensation in the throat. 2. The source of the mucus discharge may be: a. A cold abscess following the root canal, b. A tonsillolith in the tonsillar crypt in the upper pole of the tonsil (Crypta Magna). There may be a cheesy white discharge and swelling coressponding to the site that you are describing, c. A post nasal drip from the Sinuses. This may also happen after a root canal (Oro-Antral Fistula). 3. If you can upload focused images of the throat, it may help. However a direct examination with palpation would be ideal. 4. You may follow up with the results of the examination and investigations for further treatment advice. I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them. Regards.

Follow-up: What causes frequent mucus discharge from throat? 1 hour later
Thanks a lot for replying sir its cold abuscus i think. i googled it and i found very much similar symptoms. plz suggest some medicine for treatment of cold abuscus. with regards

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 22 hours later
Brief Answer: As below: Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for writing back. 1. Your dentist will be able to confirm any cold abscess, drain and clean it. 2. If there is any persistent problem, or if it is not possible for your dentist to confirm or tackle the problem, kindly follow up directly at bit.ly/Dr-Sumit-Bhatti Wish you a speedy recovery, I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them. Regards.