What causes frequent lung problems?

Had lung problems all my life. Never smoked. AAt deff suspected but test normal. FEV1 30% Carbon monoxide transfer 60%. Told I have protease deficiency but not AAT.
Posted Thu, 13 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T -6 hours later
Brief Answer: restrictive lung disease Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. Considering the lower Fev1, I suspect you to have a restrictive lung disease now which could be a resultant of any infections or inflammations occurred in the lung in past. The infections or inflammations could have healed leaving scar tissue in the lung presenting the readings above in the PFT. The cause for frequent problems in the lung could only be known by investigating in detail. It could be a connective tissue disease, lower immune levels, hyper responsive lung disease etc. timely specific blood tests could help to identify the cause. regards,
Follow-up: What causes frequent lung problems? 33 hours later
Can I conclude from your answer that the damage to my lungs is similar to that caused by AAT deff. or smoking (I never have) and is irreversible. Would further investigation produce any information that may point to useful treatment. I use inhalers. My PFT (not CO transfer, we couldn,t do that) has been unchanged since I measured my own as a university undergraduate in 1963.
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 2 days later
Brief Answer: yes, could be less reversible Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing back. You are right, the condition you have could be due to smoking or other inflammation inducing agents but least likely AAt deficiency. Also I could say that most of the restrictive lung diseases are almost irreversible. The strength of the treatment may have to be increased as time passess. Cure is usually uncertain. You can always get investigated in detail to prove otherwise. regards,