What causes frequent headache and depression?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013

Neurologist
Question
my wife has frequent head aches and has a depression on her head/skull. the nerves in the head swells whenever she has headaches. this is there for few years now and have consulted few doctors. but there is no result. appreciate your assistance/guidance
Posted Mon, 17 Mar 2014 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 55 minutes later
Brief Answer: Most likely cause could be migraine. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for posting your query. I have noted the symptoms of your wife and the most likely diagnosis in her case could be migraine. This is characterized by severe intermittent headaches (on one or both sides of head), along with nausea or vomiting. There is increased sensitivity to noise and sunlight. The diagnosis is made on the basis of symptoms. A brain scan may be done to exclude other causes of headache. As of now, you can start her on preventive medications such as topiramate, flunarizine or beta blockers to reduce the severity and frequency of headaches. For relief of headaches, she may be given vasograin or rizatriptan tablets. I hope my reply has helped you. I would be pleased to answer, if you have any follow up queries or if you require any further information. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, For DIRECT QUERY to me: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar My blog: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.com/