What causes frequent bowel movements?

Three years ago, I had surgery (uterine cancer) and radiation....I seem to be OK but I have noticed that my digestive system seems to stay upset and I am always running to the bathroom....I am retired, and want to go back to work, but I am afraid that this condition will prevent me from working.....I take Pepto sometimes and it helps for a while, and I do think I am Lactose intolerant, so I have started drinking milk w/o lactose, etc......but still the problem persists...sometimes I don't even want to go out to eat, etc., because I am terrified of having a problem......I tried taking fiber, but it made my stomach hurt even worse........what can I do to improve this miserable condition?Do I need yogurt or enzymes or what? I do not have any insurance, and live on a meager widow's benefit, so I can't go to a doctor. XXXXXXX
Posted Sun, 23 Feb 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Meher Lakshmi Konatam 1 hour later
Brief Answer: lifestyle changes important Detailed Answer: You have written that you underwent radiotherapy for uterine cancer. Radiation can cause intestinal upset and increase in bowel movements. You have not mentioned how long you were fine after radiation treatment. If you are fine for a long time and recently became intolerent and having frequent bowel movents, then radiation is unlikely the cause. In this context, I would order for simple stool test (to check for worms and amoeba) and colonoscopy once if your finances permit. If they come back as normal, most likely you have irritable bowel where the only and most important solution for this condition is lifestyle changes. You need to avoid high fibre foods and take food that suits you. You need not quit job because of your health. There is a solution for everything and all that needs to be done is checking out the cause and making minor adjustments in living style. you have fought cancer and this is minor compared to your past condition. Hope this helps. Regards