What causes freckle like pigmentation on my ankles and calves?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
There is a name for the leaking of capillaries that produce brownish, freckle-like pigmentation on my ankles and calves. What is the cause of this? My mother had the same thing, only more severe as she aged.
Posted Sat, 8 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Schamberg Disease Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for using Healthcare Magic. From your description I think you are describing Schamberg Disease also known as purpura pigmentosa progressiva (PPP). It causes chronic discoloration of the skin in people of all ages. It is caused by leaky blood vessels near the surface of the skin. These capillaries allow red blood cells to leak into the skin. They then disintegrate and release their iron onto the surrounding tissues causing the pigmentation. The rash may be rust-colored with an orange tint. There may be slight itching associated with the areas. There is no treatment for the condition other than cortisone cream to treat the itching. hope this is of help. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me. Regards, Dr K A Pottinger, MBChB FRCA