What causes for abnormal menstrual bleeding and what is the treatment?

Mar 2013
Hello, I am twenty years old, and I am currently experiencing my second period of the month which has never happened to me before, and it is much heavier than any other period I have ever experienced. It is just the first day of this period, but I am worried because of how bright red the blood is as well as how much I am bleeding. My other period this month was the week of December third, and this is the first day (the 16th) of this period. I went through a "super" tampon in about four hours which would normally take me about 13 hours. The brightness of the blood is also irregular for me, and there was a clot as well when I last changed my tampon. I did have a new sex partner this past weekend, and he did not use protection so I would like to rule that out as a cause if possible. I also take Vyvanse irregularly, and I took 40 mg today, but this was after I had started bleeding, but before I noticed heavy bleeding. I have also had a lot of caffeine in the past week and gained more than ten pounds in the past month. I am not on birth control, and I have not been for several months because I often forgot to take it. I was going to start taking it again after my last period so I took one pill, but then I forgot again and have not taken it since that one pill. Thank you for your help.
Posted Sun, 5 Jan 2014 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 30 minutes later
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. I can think of the following reasons for your abnormal menstrual bleeding - 1. Weight gain is a major factor . 2. Stress , anxiety, tension on the personal or professional front, late nights, erratic eating habits - do any of these apply ? They are all known causative factors. 3. Vyvanse itself is associated with irregular menstrual bleeding. 4. Caffeine too is implicated. 5. If you have been sexually active, do take a pregnancy test, to rule out an ongoing pregnancy, an ongoing miscarriage, or ectopic pregnancy. 6. A new sexual partner / unprotected sex would not generally lead to heavy bleeding afterwards. 7. Thyroid hormone abnormalities, a cervical or uterine polyp, lesions or erosions on the cervix, uterine fibroids, endometrial hyperplasia, polycystic ovarian syndrome - these are all some conditions associated with irregular cycles and sporadic heavy bleeding. If the bleeding does not subside in a couple of days / it recurs again next month, I would request you to have a gynaecological consultation. You should have - 1. Internal check up - per vaginum and per speculum 2. Pelvic ultrasound scan 3 . Hormonal levels - FSH, LH, TSH, Prolactin, OGTT, free testosterone, DHEAS, lipid profile. 4. A bleeding and clotting profile to rule out bleeding tendencies. All the best. Please feel free to discuss further.