What causes foot drop in children?
User rating for this question
My grandson developed foot drop in his right foot which became noticeable about a year ago and seems to have gone worse. After a while he started walking on the outside of his left foot and his toes have curled a little. He has seen a physiotherapist who has given him special boots with insoles in which appear to have helped. We are now waiting for a referral to a neurologist. I am terrified that it will be duchenne as I have read a little and it states it is a muscle wasting desease. He doesn't have large calves and apart from being hampered a bit by the foot drop can climb stairs run and can get off the floor without using his hands. Is it likely to be duchenne or some other nerve damage.
Posted Sat, 8 Feb 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Chander Mohan Singh 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Foot drop in child may occur due to many causes. Detailed Answer: Hi, I have read your query. Since child usually starts walking at the age range of 11-12 months so foot drop in child is detected at this age. One cannot diagnose any disease by reading from some source as you have done. For your child to get treated, you must consult a doctor, who would do physical examination of your child and some tests. Foot drop in child may be due to many reason e.g Cerebral Palsy (CP), child birth injuries, polio, muscular dystrophy etc. Only after doing physical examination of your child, doctor would come to know about the exact cause of foot drop. After physical examination doctor may advise your child any of the following treatment - -light-weight braces. -shoe inserts (orthotics). -physical therapy. -surgery. So you should not be in a hurry in making diagnosis on your own and you must consult a doctor as early as possible. Send me report of physical examination. I hope you have get your answer. You are welcome to ask further health related query. Thanks. Dr.Singh.
People also viewed
- Leukocytes 5 6 hpf count in semen
- Life span of someone who has a mechanical heart valve
- Leukemia flare up does
- Excessive alcohol use and tb meningitis
- Himalayanproductfor alcoholic neuro porblem
- Life expectancy with heart deasise stents
- Causes of foot drop with hysterectomy
- Protusion of alimentary canal
- What is the cause and treatment for foot drop
- Light brown spotting on toilet paper
- What causes foot drop in children
- What are the underlying cause for foot drop in children
- Foot drop causes
- Alcohol and parkinson symptoms
- Involuntary movements when i am drinking alcohol