What causes food getting stuck in esophagus when suffering from diverticula?

Aug 2013

ENT Specialist
If I have relatively recently diagnosed diverticula. And also ,relatively recently new problem : when I eat certain things like just 3 bites of chicken without a big drink of water between each bite....or three bites of a gets stuck down in my esophagus and makes me, have an episode that is like gagging or wretching.....till it clears...... /./. Is this from the diverticula or what ? .....and while I am feeling blocked up.....feels like my throat will NOT accept,anything more.....if I force a gulp of water ( seems to act as lubrication and seems to unclog things : is that right thing to do ?
Posted Tue, 18 Feb 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sriram Nathan 5 hours later
Brief Answer: secondary symptoms Detailed Answer: Hello and welcome to health care magic, I am Dr Sriram Nathan an ENT surgeon who has a fair amount of experience in treating throat problems. You must understand that the same root cause which lead to your diverticula could be causing the symptoms of block which you are experiencing right now although the diverticula would not directly affect the swallowing unless it is very large. In any case it could be a reflux or a weak muscle tone which may be the cause of diverticula. In most cases however you may not get the cause but the anxiety and the reflux may increase your symptoms and also lead to swallowing difficulty like in your case. You must relax and do these so that your symptoms become better: -Avoid any oily or spicy food especially in the night -take bland and low flavoured food for some time -start on a course of anti reflux medication like pantoprazole. Your doctor will know about this -Do not speak or strain when you eat and make sure you eat food stuff which are not dry and hard -take lots of water and fiber in your diet. -Make sure your posture when you eat is good and straight and you are not under any stress. Stick to the timings and do not skip a meal -It goes without saying that you must avoid smoking and alcohol (you have not mentioned whether you take these) -reduce your stress levels by methods ranging from yoga or meditation. If the symptoms persists or they worsen then you must get an upper GI endoscopy and get back to me or any ENT with the report. Hope this helps and if you have any more doubts you may ask me regards Dr Sriram Nathan
Follow-up: What causes food getting stuck in esophagus when suffering from diverticula? 13 hours later
I am NOT having trouble swallowing to move things out of my mouth ..... the stuff gets "caught" way further 6 or 8" DOWN from the top of my throat. ...It is definitely NOT stress related..... it is only when i eat certain dry foods like chicken it always happens....and never with other foods.... Upper and lower Gi showed nothing except the Diverticula. what i asked was if Can this because from the diverticual itself ??
Answered by Dr. Sriram Nathan 7 minutes later
Brief Answer: not likely Detailed Answer: Hello again, A diverticula can of course cause the feeling of being stuck or foreign body sensation as we call it but for this the diverticula must be big and internal in type which is rare. This is a rhetorical possibility but it is rare. In any case if you do feel it is affecting your swallowing then you must consult a gastroenterologist. Hope this helps Regards Dr Sriram Nathan