What causes food coming into mouth and stomach irritation inspite of having a history of duodenal ulcer?

Gastroenterologist
Question
I'm 32 year old. I have history of duodenal ulcer that was diagnosed in Dec 2010. I took medication then and the ulcer was healed, and since then I was having gastric problem - food coming into mouth, irritation in stomach etc., I was taking pantocid and equivalent tabs whenever I had symptoms. But, I keep getting food into mouth (this issue I had since my childhood) and have burping and flatulence problem. I have adopted lifestyle changes as well (Btw, I dont have any smoking/drinking habits, I exercise as well). Taking pantocid such frequently - Are there any side effects? and also Is there any permanent cure for this problem.
Posted Thu, 13 Mar 2014 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 1 hour later
Brief Answer: You are having symptoms of GERD Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for posting your query. I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to assist you. You are having symptoms of GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease - also called as reflux disease). Food coming in to mouth is called regurgitation and it is a feature of GERD. PPI medications like pantocid are very effective for it. These are very safe medications and does not cause any serious side effect in young individuals like you. If you find good relief with pantocid and life style changes, continue with the same treatment. If there is no relief, then evaluation with an endoscopy and a 24 hours pH monitoring should be done. Sometimes there may be additional factors like a hiatal hernia which might be causing the reflux and unless you treat it also, you may not get a permanent relief. I hope that answers your question. Let me know if I can assist you further. Regards, Dr.Ratnakar Kini