Ask a Urologist   »  

What causes foamy urine, lower back pain ad fatigue?

I have lots of bubbles (foamy) when I urinate. Some lower back pain. The bubbles began to disappear quickly. It looks and sounds like a can of soda emptied into the toilet. I have been feeling more fatigued, but not sure if this Is associated.
Posted Mon, 16 Dec 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Prasad 31 minutes later
Brief Answer: Get your urine tested.... Detailed Answer: Hi, Frothing (foaming) urine is seen when there is protein in urine. Normally proteins are filtered out by kidneys. This is one of the important function of kidney. A failing kidney or a defect in the filteration mechanism leads to protein loss. One may find frothy urine when there is protein content in the urine. Physically some amount of foaming can occur when any liquid is poured forcefully. Not considering these physical parameters, I suspect presence of proteins in the urine to be causing the foamy appearance. I would order for a urine routine and renal function test to look for proteins and verify renal function. Back pain may be related. Ultrasound scan can help us identify the relation. I would urge you to visit your local physician to stream line the aforementioned set of tests. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications. Regards
Follow-up: What causes foamy urine, lower back pain ad fatigue? 36 minutes later
Urine pic
Answered by Dr. Prasad 17 minutes later
Brief Answer: Encourage you to undergo the tests. Detailed Answer: Yes, the sample looks frothy. Please visit your local doctor and ask for urine routine, renal function as well as ultrasound scan to make sure we do not miss this concern out. Let me know if you have clarifications. Regards