What causes fluid retention?

Hi Dr XXXXXXX I think that something may be wrong with my bile duct. I am lactose intolerant and my digestion is improving so I can eat several pieces of fruit a day now. I don't think it is my large or small intestine. I am actually holding a lot of fluid in my body and my kidney function well. My health is well and I have suspected tendonitis for 10 years. My liver feels fine and my stomach is not tender or sore. Last blood works said that my blood was good and my cholesterol was at 7. The main problem is the fluid that I am holding. Hello could you also tell me which body system goes down first? So I can learn to heal it. Its ok to do over several emails. I'm a native English speaker. Plain english would be good.Thanks from XXXX
Posted Mon, 10 Mar 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Bile duct lesion does not cause fluid retention Detailed Answer: Hi Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day Dear Ms Affection of bile duct is not known to cause fluid retention. Bile duct pathology especially obstruction usually causes generalized itching, jaundice and sometimes fever. Cause of fluid retention in your case could be due to many causes which could be as simple as excessive consumption of salt. The exact cause will depend on the site of fluid accumulation. It would be very helpful if you could elaborate where are you having fluid retention. Providing your photograph of the edematous skin will be much appreciated. So it would be helpful if you could mention this in your next mail and also duration of symptoms and other medical conditions if present. Do not worry things can be taken care of. Waiting for your reply take care Best Regards Dr T Shobha Deepak MBBS, MD
Follow-up: What causes fluid retention? 20 hours later
I'm having fluid retention particularly around my hips. I'm holding fluid in my arms and I'm holding fat around my ribs (not too much but enough) I haven't been able to walk properly for several years and I am not sure how to stimulate my ciruculatory sytem. My kidneys work well. Also I do not sleep well at night and have trouble sleeping for more than 2 hours without sleeping tablets. I don't consume salt a lot. I don't add it to my diet because I don't crave it. I have only had salt in the last few weeks through small packets potato chips. I prefer sweets like dark chocolate. How do I send my photo to your website? Before my foot injury (which now affects both feet) I was a size 8 and I am now a size 12. Kind Regards XXXX
Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 12 minutes later
Brief Answer: To rule out possibility of Hypothyroidism Detailed Answer: Hi Greetings Dear Ms XXXXXXX If this weight gain along with retention is of recent onset it's important to rule out Hypothyroidism as the cause of these symptoms. It's advisable to get Thyroid profile done (Serum T3, T4 and TSH level). You can send the clinical picture by uploading in the image uploader available or alternatively you can mail them to YYYY@YYYY with the subject line as "Attention Dr T Shobha Deepak". Will be glad to assist you further. Take care Best Regards Dr T Shobha Deepak MBBS, MD
Follow-up: What causes fluid retention? 48 hours later
Hi Dr Shoba, here is my picture it is 2 year old but I am still the same weight. Can you check fluid retention. I'll email you my results later. Thanks
Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 9 minutes later
Brief Answer: It's due to cellulite accumulation Detailed Answer: Hi Dear Ms It's more of excess fat accumulation especially around your waist. It's unusual place for fluid accumulation. Brisk walking for 30 minutes at a stretch everyday along with diet modification will be useful. Also massage with anti cellulite cream ( cellulite is a form of intradermal fat within the skin) will help in resorption of cellulite. Do get back to me with the investigation. Take care Best Regards Dr T Shobha Deepak MBBS, MD