What causes fluid in middle ear?

Nose-throat-ears: Hi, I am a 74 year old male, perfect hearing... except I have "water" in my middle right ear. By holding nose and blowing hard, I get popping and squeaking, a temporary clearing that immediately clogs over. When I lay down to sleep there's a shifting of fluid, popping, but still no clearing. There's no infection or pain, just a half deaf resonance in that ear. Thank you. Is the draining simple-?
Posted Wed, 5 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Its not very uncommon Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query. I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through. Fluid in middle ear is a common probolem and unless it is infected there is no need to bother and no need to drain. There are two ways this can come out. 1. Coming out to the throat through the eustachian tube. 2. Water getting resorbed from the middle ear itself. You nedd to chew continuously which opens up in the eustachian tube and lets the fluid come out in the throat. You mah even chew a chewing gum to keep tue eustachian tube open. If this doesny help then you may take some anti histaminics like cetrizine which reduces futher fluid acuumulation and lets it to dry. The signs of infection are severe pain in the ear and fever and if these symptoms turn up then you will have to stat an antibiotic. Hope I am able to answer your concerns. If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you. If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback. In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link: Wish you good health, Kind regards Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.