What causes flu symptoms with aches, sore throat and grequent blowel movement?

Infectious Diseases Specialist
Hi, for the past 2 months I am feeling the flu along with aches, My throat is sore and I use the toilet(bowel action) alot during the day? Not sure what is wrong with me. I cut down on sugar but still feel the same symptoms. I feel tire in the afternoon even when I'm not working.
Posted Mon, 16 Dec 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Fatbardha Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please refer to the following suggestions... Detailed Answer: Hi, I have read your medical data and I understood your concerns. Sore throat and diarrhea (several bowel movements/day) are signs of viral gastroenteritis. If I was your caring doctor would ask to do: - culture of throat to exclude strep throat - culture of stool to determine the presence of bacterial/candida/viruses - complete blood work You are feeling tired because of losing electrolytes and water with frequent bowel movements. I advise to: - consult your physician immediately as you need to start antibiotic and antiviral treatment as soon as possible - take OTC tasectan to stop diarrhea - take OTC oral re-hydration salts to replace the lost liquids and electrolytes - take probiotics - eat banana/yogurt/carrots to help stop diarrhea. It is good that you cut down on sugar, but you need immediate evaluation by a physician. Wish you fast recovery! If you have other questions, feel free to ask at the next follow up! Dr.Bardha