What causes flatulence,burping,bloating with excessive gurgling in stomach?

Hello. I have been having stomach problems for a about 6 weeks. The first week I just kind of felt like an upset stomach. Then by the end of week I started having bad flatulence and some burping and also feeling bloated.I was also having excessive gurgling in stomach. I went to doctor and was prescribed prilosec for acid in stomach. It seems like the gas has decreased somewhat but I still have the gurgling most of the day. It appers that I am having pretty normal bowel movements maybe a little more than usual. I have tried to eat smaller meals, eat less gassy foods, avoided carbonated drinks etc. I also have lost about 5 pounds. I have read about small intestinal bacterial infection or possibly the malabsorption of foods. Could this possibly be what I have?? Could dairy products and wheat cause some of these problems as well? I have never had any previous abdominal problems. My doctor did tell me that within one week the problems should subside by taking the prilosec. I have been taking for nearly 3 weeks and still have the constant gurgling and on ocassion some pain under right rib cage after eating. It is not all the time but does occur off and on. Again, thank you for your help. I was thinking of making an appointment with a gastroenerologist to possibly give me some insight and run tests.
Posted Sat, 22 Mar 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 4 hours later
Brief Answer: yes, it is a possibility Detailed Answer: Hello, I have read your query; I am sorry about your current health concerns. Yes, your symptoms and the history suggests a possibility of small intestinal bacterial infection or Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO). You have taken the relevant dietary measures to prevent the same from worsening. Please continue the same. Go for bland semi-solid easy to digest foods like porridge, vegetable soups, and more of fruits. You could also take a cup of fresh curd or yoghurt daily. Yes, sometimes dairy products and wheat can cause this too. Try avoiding them and see if there is improvement. Continued use of Prilosec can increase your risk of bacterial overgrowth. If your gas symptom has reduced, you might want to stop prilosec. To diagnose the same you would require breath tests like glucose or lactulose breath tests that are easy to perform and reliable too. Treatment is with antibiotics depending on the bacterial levels. It would be a wise decision to make an appointment with a Gastroenterologist and go ahead with the management. Get well soon and wish you good health. Regards,