What causes flatulence and discomfort under ribs?

For about 3 weeks I have had terrible wind from both ends and a stomach cramps. My stools have not changed too much and no blood in stools. I keep getting a sharp intermittent pain going over my left hip, can only describe it as feeling like a toothache. No sickness,loss of appitite or any other ill feeling, but sometimes pain shoots right down front of my leg. Also some discomfort under my ribs and almost feels like its in the bones.
Posted Mon, 10 Feb 2014 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Problems are due to indigestion + gut infection Detailed Answer: Hi Lady, Thanks for your query. You are apparently suffering from indigestion due to an organism infection (bacterial, yeast or worms), which has overwhelmed the 'good bacteria' of the intestine. As the food is digested, digestive gases such as hydrogen, methane, and carbon dioxide collect, which then come out as wind from both ends. The discomfort under the ribs and left lower part of abdomen, is due to trapped gases in the flexures and sigmoid of colon respectively. You will improve with the following medications/supplements:- * 5-7 days' course of metronidazole or Tinidazole, * 5-7 days' course of a Prokinetic drug, such as, Ondansetron/Metoclopramide or itopride; * 3-4 weeks' course of digestive enzymes + a Probiotic, such as, Lactobacilli (to reinforce the population of 'good bacteria'); and, * extra multi-vitamins supplements. * A single-tablet course of deworming. * Avoidance of gas-producing foods, such as, beans, cabbage, broccoli, raisins, lentils, apples and fruit juices. Lastly, in view of the left lower abdominal pain, possibility of an undiagnosed diverticulosis cannot be ruled out. Hence, you may discuss with your doctor about ordering a colonoscopic examination to directly visualize the inside of the colon for evidence of diverticulosis, polyps or a growth. Consult your doctor and apprise him of my opinion. I am sure he will agree with me and prescribe the advised medication in appropriate doses. Hope I have addressed to your concerns to your complete satisfaction and you find my response helpful and informative. I will be happy to answer further queries, if any. Fond regards and have a nice day, Col (Dr.) Rakesh Karanwal