What causes fingers and toes to turn white?

MY fingers to the the first joints and my toes frequently turn white, numb. What is the cause?
Posted Wed, 5 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Raynaud's disease Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I am so sorry to hear about these symptoms that you have described. From the information you have provided, these symptoms are very suggestive of what we call Raynauds disease. The main problem is that there is a marked reduction in the amount of blood supplying these structures which lead to this. It is more common in when temperatures are low and more likely in women. There are many different disease conditions than can cause this. However, detailed interrogation, examination and testing would be required to pinpoint the exact cause of this. It would be important to meet you doctor for this. In many persons, there is really no identifiable disease causing this and we call it a primary phenomenon. Treatment consist in avoiding provoking factors. Specific treatment options would greatly depend on the identified cause if any. Life style modifications like gentle exercise, avoiding alcohol, smoking and caffeine, etc are also very helpful. I will like you to read more on this from a trusted webpage below and follow up with me if there are any clarifications that you need. WWW.WWWW.WW I hope this addresses your query fully. Thank you so much for using our services and please feel free to ask for clarifications if need be. I wish you the best of health. Dr. Ditah, MD.