What causes fibrocystic breasts and do they cause cancer?

Mar 2013
I have question for OBGYN regarding mammogram callbacks. at age 41 I got called in to do a second mammogram a few months ago and then ultrasound. The radiologist told me they found several cysts and something he described as breast tissue gone wild (adenomas?). no cancer. My question is what causes fibrocystic breasts and do they cause cancer? my mom said said she and my grandma had it. I stopped coffee/caffeine. I am also trying to lose weight to 150-160 lbs (I'm 5'10).
Posted Sun, 23 Mar 2014 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
Brief Answer: HORMONAL CONDITION, RISK OF CANCER < 5 % Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. Can you please upload the mammogram report that is concerning you. Firstly, fibrocystic breasts are very common, and they are quite harmless. The commonest reason is hormonal imbalance, and at 41, you would be prone to having them, as you would be approaching menopause in a few years. There are no specific reasons to pinpoint who is more susceptible, but yes, it does run in families. The risk of breast cancer is minimal, less than 5 % of women who have fibrocystic breasts will go on to develop a malignancy. So please do not worry. Reducing processed fats and processed dairy products in your diet will help. Cutting back on coffee and reducing your weight to maintain an ideal BMI is a must. Also, exercise regularly and you can take Vitamin E and evening primrose oil supplements, as they have been proven to be of benefit. As you transit into menopause, this issue would assume lesser importance, as it is hormonal related, and after menopause, it generally improves. All the best Please feel free to discuss further.
Follow-up: What causes fibrocystic breasts and do they cause cancer? 5 minutes later
sorry I don't have the mammogram results they were sent to my doctor. I weigh 185 at 5'10. I used to be 150s oops. I started sleeping 7-8 hours a night and working out again. Also, I started taking Microgestin 1/20 FE birth control pills a year and half ago. Never really used birth control hormones before that. Should I stop taking them at my age? Could they cause blood clots or hormone imbalance? I've trying to do a lifestyle overhaul because at 41 I probably should.I forgot to say thanks for your answer. It is very reassuring, and I'll have to try the evening primrose oil.
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 12 hours later
Brief Answer: AS BELOW Detailed Answer: Thank you for the appreciation. The birth control pills are only protective against fibrocystic breast disease, so do not worry, you may continue using them. Weight loss and minimization of stress alongwith regulating your sleep / dietary habits is a must. Take care.