What causes fever with pain and tenderness in the breast?

Hi, Our kid is 2&1/2 months old and my wife is facing following issues: 2&1/2 month post delivary with mass pain and tenderness of left breast. Fever with chills. Minimum pores 2-3. All the above compaints are since 3 days. Please guide us on how to proceed further...
Posted Thu, 30 Jan 2014 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 10 hours later
Brief Answer: Due to mastitis or breast abscess. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for trusting us with your health concern. The symptoms that your wife is having are likely to be due to mastitis or breast abscess. It is commonly found in lactating women and is characterized by pain, swelling, redness of the breast and fever. Treatment involves systemic broad spectrum antibiotics and anti inflammatory drugs after a proper examination. She can do a hot fomentation in the area and take a mild anti inflammatory like ibuprofen after meals for relief. Do consult your gynecologist for a direct examination and prescription antibiotics for an early recovery. Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Rakhi Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL