What causes feeling of lump in my throat?

For the past two days, I have been feeling a lump in my throat and have been feeling like I have to take more deep breaths/yawn than usual. I feel acid reflux in my throat, though not always with the acid taste. I also feel a little bit of an electric "buzz" in my heart, and my back/sides have been having muscle spasms. The lump in my throat is slightly painful, and only reduced a bit by drinking hot tea. The only unusual thing I've eaten these past two days is almond milk, but I have had it plenty of times in the past without this reaction, so I doubt that's the culprit. I have an appointment with my doctor for next week (the earliest I could get) but I'm concerned. Do these symptoms sound like cause for emergency?
Posted Tue, 4 Feb 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Tonsillitis Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the query The feeling of lump in the throat with pain is typical of tonsillitis. It could be because of a viral infection of the posterior pharynx. It is not an emergency right now but if you have difficulty in breathing or you happen to start snoring unusually at night then please seek help immediately Here are my suggestions to you 1. Do not drink cold beverages or eat cold food like ice cream 2. Avoid oily and spicy food 3. Drink atleast 8 glasses of water per day 4. Gargle your throat with XXXXXXX warm salt water 5. Watch out for fever I hope I was of help, if you have any further queries please get back to me I wish you good health and a speedy recovery Regards
Follow-up: What causes feeling of lump in my throat? 27 minutes later
Thank you for your reply. I appreciate it. I had my tonsils removed about 14 years ago. I have read that tonsils can grow back or there can be residue that could be infected. Do you think this is the most likely cause still? Thank you again.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 25 hours later
Brief Answer: Pharyngitis Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the reply I am sorry for the short delay in my reply. I was unwell If you have undergone tonsillectomy in the past then the most likely reason for the current problem is pharyngitis. The feeling of a foreign body while swallowing is most likely to be an enlarged uvula, salivary gland or lymph node which will settle down once the infection is better. These glands tend to become slightly bigger to counter the infection Please do follow the suggestions I have given in my earlier reply to you for a faster recovery I am once again sorry for the shirt delay in my reply I wish you a speedy recovery regards