What causes fatty liver?

Hi Doctor, I was having jaundice in 2004 at the age of 23 which was completly cured and from 2008 till 2012 i was a very heavy i am drinking ocasionally but when ever i drink i feel myself that something big and hard is there in liver area and sometime it pains. My ultrasound showed Grade 1 fatty liver and all blood test are normal. I am 89 Kgs and overweight. My question is how long it will take to progress Grade 1 fatty liver to form Cirrosis and is it normal to have a feeling that my liver is swollen.
Posted Wed, 26 Feb 2014 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 3 hours later
Brief Answer: the progress is variable.. Detailed Answer: Hi Alcohol is a potent liver toxin and can cause fatty liver, hepatitis and cirrhosis. Liver is also affected in people who are obese. Hence you already are at high risk for liver damage. Progression from fatty liver to cirrhosis is variable and usually takes around 5-10 years. Even a single drink causes changes in the liver and can also result in right upper quadrant discomfort. However this is usually associated with some changes in LFT. Alternatively it can also cause gastritis or pancreatic inflammation and cause the symptoms described by you. In this case the routine blood tests will be normal. My advice to you is to quit drinking, loose weight and lead an active life. Regards Dr XXXXXXX
Follow-up: What causes fatty liver? 8 hours later
Thanks doctor.....if I will quit drinking completely. ...then how will it take to get completely normal liver.......and sometimes I have leg joint pain and occasionally back these symptoms has anythin to do with liver disease Kindly review my Medical Reports and it would be highly appreciable if you could advice me accordingly.
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 43 hours later
Brief Answer: Answered Detailed Answer: Hi Fatty liver with no inflammation regresses fully over a year after stopping alcohol. Same is with weight reduction and regular exercise in case of obesity associated fatty liver. The abnormal lipid profile is also part of the disease. The leg and backpain is not associated with liver disease but may be secondary to the nutritional ill effects of alcohol Regards Dr XXXXXXX