What causes fatigue,tiredness in leg muscle,restlessness and tremor in legs?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I regularly have fatigue and tiredness feeling in the leg muscles (thighs and calf muscles). Have general feeling of restlessness in the legs. Stretching and shaking the legs, Flexing the leg muscles or massaging provide relief. I had got blood sugar test done some time back and it was normal.
Posted Tue, 7 Jan 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 12 hours later
Brief Answer: Can be due to thyroid or electrolyte disturbance. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. There are different possible causes for the symptoms that you are experiencing. One of the potential causes is hypothyroidism which is a low level of thyroid hormone. This is a hormone that plays an important part in the metabolism of the body. Hypothyroidism is commonly associated with cold intolerance and muscle fatigue. It is diagnosed by a examination (there are certain features that are present when a person with hypothyroidism is examined) and by a blood test to assess the level of the thyroid hormone. In addition to hypothyroidism, electrolyte imbalance (levels checked by blood tests) and excess activity can result in these symptoms. Activities that might help prevent these include: • Drinking plenty of fluids to avoid dehydration • Stretching your leg muscles or riding a stationary bicycle for a few minutes daily. • Massaging the leg muscles with your hands • Walking or jiggling the leg • Taking a hot shower or warm bath • This at times may be associated with POTASSIUM deficiency and so foods such as bananas, potatoes, prune juice and dried fruit are to be taken as dietary supplement. • Also, calcium fortified foods like seafood and fish, almonds, flaxseed, oats, prunes, sesame seeds, tofu and XXXXXXX can help to stave off muscle fatigue. • Avoid acidic foods and drinks like tomatoes and vinegar which blocks the body’s natural ability to absorb calcium leading to muscle aches & muscle fatigue. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Follow-up: What causes fatigue,tiredness in leg muscle,restlessness and tremor in legs? 5 hours later
Dear Dr. Tayal Thanks a lot for your revert. Request you to elaborate on the following comment - "It is diagnosed by a examination (there are certain features that are present when a person with hypothyroidism is examined)". Can you let me know typically what are the symptoms associated with hypothyroidism. For your information, my height is 6'1" and weight 88 kgs. Request you to also let me know what tests are required to diagnose thyroid hormone and POTASSIUM deficiency. Regards XXXX

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 16 minutes later
Brief Answer: Get serum TSH and potassium levels evaluated. Detailed Answer: Hello. Thanks for writing again. hypothyroidism can be diagnosed by a physical examination and a blood test for T3, T4 and TSH levels. The symptoms are fatigue, weight gain, cold intolerance, hair fall, coarse hairs, constipation, sleepiness, depression, dry skin, muscle cramps, leg swelling, decreased concentration, etc. You can get your serum calcium and potassium levels evaluated to detect any electrolyte imbalance. Hope my answer is helpful. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health. Regards

Follow-up: What causes fatigue,tiredness in leg muscle,restlessness and tremor in legs? 23 hours later
Thanks. I will ask the Pathology lab to do the following test: 1. Blood test for T3, T4 and TSH levels 2. Blood test for calcium and potassium levels Please confirm if these are the appropriate name of the test when I go to any pathology lab.

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Yes. This is right. Detailed Answer: Hello. You can get these tests done and then consult a neurophysician or an endocrinologist for the proper treatment if any abnormality is detected. Hope this helps. Regards.