What causes fatigue with muscle aches and stff joints?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi over the past year I have had symptoms of flu like but gradually getting worse, my symptoms now is extremely fatigued but some days are better than others, Sore heads? Feel glanse swollen but no sore throat and also very ache muscles and stiff joints along with brain fog and sometimes find it hard to find the word I'm about to say as it completely goes blank. I have gp on Monday but was wondering what this could be Also been trying conceive for the past 3 years with no luck, I do have stage 1 endometriosis but is there possibility there is an other under lying problem?
Posted Thu, 20 Feb 2014 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Kunal Bhalla 58 minutes later
Brief Answer: Could be Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Detailed Answer: Hi there Your symptoms correlate with disease called Chronic fatigue syndrome. It is characterised by persistent fatigue & other symptoms for a minimum of 6 months. Symptoms include malaise after exertion , unrefreshing sleep, muscle & joint pain, sore throat, headaches, chronic and severe mental and physical exhaustion in a previously healthy person. Majority of them have sudden onset. There are no characteristic laboratory tests to diagnose CFS, so testing is used to rule out other potential causes of symptoms. Many people don't fully recover from treatment. CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy) and Graded Exercise Therapy have shown moderate effectiveness. As for the inability to conceive. ...Endometriosis is cause enough . Kindly get Transvaginal Ultrasound done to rule out possibility of ovarian cysts or other pathologies. Blood hormonal levels of estrogen, progesterone and prolactin should be measured. I hope my advice has helped. Good luck
Follow-up: What causes fatigue with muscle aches and stff joints? 32 minutes later
I had a laparoscopy last April and as far as I am aware there was no cysts just 3 lots of endometriosis that got lasered. Could some of my symptoms maybe from the endometriosis? And is there anything I can take to improve the pain as my Dr has not prescribed anything for pain relief . THANK YOU
Answered by Dr. Kunal Bhalla 9 hours later
Brief Answer: Endometriosis causes pain & infertility . Detailed Answer: Hi there. The main symptoms of endometriosis are pelvic pain and infertility. Some other non specific symptoms like headaches and constipation can also occur. Pelvic pain is usually diffuse and may not occur at a specific site. Pain is usually exaggerated during the menstrual cycle. Therefore I am don't think your complaints are related to endometrosis. There is no permanent cure for endometriosis and treatment aims at relieving the symptoms. Management of pain depends on the severity : Mild pain can usually be managed by anti inflammatory (NSAIDS) like Diclofenac or Etoricoxib. Moderate to severe pain is managed by Opioids like Hydroxycodone. Or may be with fentanyl long acting skin patch is very effective with less side effects. It can be changed every 3 days. I have prescribed this to many of my patients. ..with good results. If needed pentoxyphylline as an adjunct to the above mentioned medicines has provided good results. You can discuss about these options with your treating doctor. I hope my advice has helped. Good luck.
Follow-up: What causes fatigue with muscle aches and stff joints? 15 hours later
Thank you very much your answers have been very helpfull , I just hope my own GP doesn't fob me off regarding my symptoms as its affecting my home life and relationship and also find it hard with a very active 5 year old. THANK YOU
Answered by Dr. Kunal Bhalla 54 minutes later
Brief Answer: Your most welcome Detailed Answer: Hi there again. I'm glad I could be of help. Your most welcome. Feel free to contact me for any further information. I'll try to do my best. Regards