What causes fat deposits in the abdominal region?

Hello Dr , I am 27 yr old Software Professional and unmarried . My height is 4.11 ft and weight is 44.2 kgs . I have a flab around my stomach (looks like pregnent woman) . an any other parts of my body like neck , hands , legs doesn't have fat . May I know why am I getting the fat deposited only in that reason ? My mom says , from birth itself i have little flab on tummy part . Now it is increasing . Can you plz help to understand the why it is like this and are there any chances for me to get a flat tummy ? Plz advise . Thanks XXXX
Posted Wed, 19 Mar 2014 in Weight
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 47 minutes later
Brief Answer: it is multifactorial Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX I have read your query. The reasons for fat getting deposited in the stomach or abdominal region are many. One important cause is heredity. It is the inherited pattern of fat accumulation from your parents that you also tend to put on fat on your tummy. Other factors are the genetic make up in you and the fat cells are stored more in the tummy region. Hormones play an important role as well. Increased stress hormone levels causes one to put on weight more in the belly region. Hence, the reason is multifactorial. Your mom is right too, it is perhaps by birth or genetic reason in you. There are chances for you to get a flat tummy. For that, you need to avoid refined carbohydrate foods like white rice, white bread etc. Exercise and staying away from stress helps too. Wish you good health. Regards,
Follow-up: What causes fat deposits in the abdominal region? 8 minutes later
Thanks for replying Doctor . This is helpful . I am thiking to join Gym for this . Will joining gym helps me ? And where I can get the diet plans so that I can follow it to get a flat abs . Thanks XXXX
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 38 minutes later
Brief Answer: yes, it does Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX Yes, joining gym will help you in this. Please go ahead accordingly. Please raise a request for dietitian consultation from your dashboard to get a diet plan for you. Write to YYYY@YYYY if you have any problems or need assistance on the same. Wish you good health. Take care!