What causes eye problems after a vertigo attack?

ENT Specialist
Hi my name is XXXXXXX I have a question about my eyes after having vertigo. I was diagnosed with vertigo before Christmas. It just recently started getting better within the last few weeks. now if I start to cross my eyes on my own I see small movements back and forth before I make them cross. it happens when I purposely Un focas my eyes as they get blury. they don't cross or Un focus on there own but when I do that the movements back and forth happen on their own. could it still be from the vertigo that got better a few weeks ago?
Posted Fri, 21 Mar 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Satvinder Bakshi 46 minutes later
Brief Answer: Yes it can be because of vertigo Detailed Answer: Hello You may be developing what is called nystagmus , which is the to and fro movement of the eye and this generally increses once the person unfocuses his eyes!! Please dont worry, this is a normal phenomenon and will come down once the vertigo will subside! I would like you to follow your doctors advice and continue the medications. Please dont strain and avoid too much of strenuous activity! Thanks
Follow-up: What causes eye problems after a vertigo attack? 1 hour later
Ok thank you. so this is still normal Even though I'm feeling better from the vertigo? It even feels like it's hard to stay focused having this but my vision is perfect. is that also normal? when I had the vertigo I felt light headed and a tilting feeling. just an FYI.
Answered by Dr. Satvinder Bakshi 7 minutes later
Brief Answer: yes it is normal Detailed Answer: Hello Well, yes, the symptoms will subside in a few more days! If you develop fever, vomiting, decreased vision or increase in your vertigo, please meet your ent doctor or neurologist! Please try not to strain too much or focus too much as it may increase your vertigo, just try to take as much rest as you can and you will recover faster! Thanks
Follow-up: What causes eye problems after a vertigo attack? 36 minutes later
Ok. I definitely don't have any of those bad symptoms. I'm pretty much normal other than my eyes. it's been happening for 2 weeks or so. that's why I am nervous. it's not so bad that I can't do anything. It's just a concern. even though it's been off and on for a few weeks I'm still ok?
Answered by Dr. Satvinder Bakshi 15 hours later
Brief Answer: you are ok!! Detailed Answer: Hello Please dont worry as this is a part of the recovery process ! I can understand your concern as i get many patients with the same issues! Depending on the severity, the symptoms may resolve in a few weeks to months and it is impossible to predict how much time it will take! Please dont strain yourself and take rest! You will be fine! Regards