What causes eye pain in children when suffering from fever?

My two year old has a fever (101.1) and a cough, but she is now complaining that her eyes hurt. Is this new symptom cause for concern?
Posted Tue, 18 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer: NO but monitor for fever, breathing difficulties,. Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for trusting us with your health query. I am so sorry to hear about what your daughter is experiencing now. From all the information you have provided, your daughter most probably has an upper respiratory tract infection caused by a virus. Viruses cause symptoms of runny nose, fever, cough, and at times inflammation of the eyes and ears. This is why the eyes hurt in a case of an infection cause by a virus. You should not be too concerned about this right now unless the pain becomes too intense. Also, watch out for redness and tearing that should prompt medical attention. For now, I will recommend that you use Tylenol to control the pains and fever with. Should the fever persist, onset of breathing difficulties or inability to eat and drink appropriately, please consider getting her in for consultation and more aggressive management. I hope you find this helpful. Thank you so much for using our services and please feel free to for more information or clarifications if need be. I wish you the best of health. Dr. Ditah, MD.