What causes eye pain and movement in eyeballs when suffering from vertigo?

Nov 2013

Hi so I have had vertigo issues since Christmas and finally I'm having some relief from the symptoms. After waking up from being dizzy one night I basically had a tilting feeling and my head felt weird. light headed and just felt weird after the dizziness. recently I started feeling better but my eyes have started hurting and it's hard to focas up close and it seems my eyes have small movements all the time when I try to read, or focas on something hard. It's worse after driving or walking at night. It seems to gotten worse since my other symptoms got better some. is this ok? I went to my doctor and he said my vision was perfect. why are my eyes doing this? Do I still have the vertigo but just Don't have have as many symptoms as i did?
Posted Fri, 7 Mar 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 16 hours later
Brief Answer: Eye symptoms could be related to vertigo. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for posting your query. On many occasions, vertigo is associated with nystagmus, a side-to-side movements of eyeballs, which are worse on trying to focus such as while reading. This movement of eyes may lead to a symptom called as oscillopsia, where objects appear moving or shaky. There is no need to worry, as the eye symptoms would eventually improve, as the vertigo improves. However, if symptoms persist, an MRI scan of brain may be done to exclude any disease of cerebellum. I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries or if you require any additional information. Wishing you good health, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: My BLOG: