What causes excessive sweating?

Around 2 weeks ago I started to experience cold sweats after a short distance walk (500m). I mainly sweat on the back and the head - and I mean really sweat, it's dripping. Overall I'm not in pain, I've a small ulcer in my mouth, had headache for a couple of days and my doctor said my throat looks red (but no throat pain) My doctor and he gave me a prescription for antibiotica (Clamoxyl Duo Forte). I'm now taking the antibiotica for 4 days but don't see any improvement. What can cause excessive sweating like this? A infection? How long should I wait to see results of the antibiotica?
Posted Sat, 22 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Thyroid levels need to be checked Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query. I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through. Infections will never lead to this kind of problem with sweating. There might be an add on infection in the throat but the sweating may not be related to this infection thing. So basically there is no need to wait for the infections. Probable causes: 1) Thyroid disturbances: Both increased and decreased thyroid levels will lead to increased sweating. Basically it needs to be investigated by doing a TSH levels. 2) Anemia. Anemia can lead to this kind of sweating and hence the hemoglobin levels need to be checked. 3) Blood Pressure. Reduced blood pressure can lead to this kind of sweating and hence BP needs to be monitored. 4) Sugars. Both raised and decreased sugars can lead to increased sweating and hence a fasting blood glucose level should be examined. Its only after doing these investigations that the cause of the increased sweating will become evident. Hope I am able to answer your concerns. If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you. If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback. In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link: Wish you good health, Kind regards Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.