What causes excessive itching on scalp?

Feb 2013

My 1 year old son has been scratching his head a lot, since summer started. He had got measles three weeks back. His scalp is clean, we shampoo once a week with baby shampoo. I have checked for lice, nits etc, no such infestation. (He had got lice once 2-3 months back). He scratches so hard that his scalp bleeds, even though I always keep his nails short. What to do?
Posted Fri, 28 Mar 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 19 hours later
Brief Answer: clinical examination of scalp. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic. Scratching of scalp excessively could be due to some allergic skin reaction, presence of lice or some times seborrhea. Observe closely whether any soap or shampoo application is causing this itching. Some times excessive sweating in the scalp also may lead to itching and intense scratching. Oral antihistamines such as hydroxyzine will help to decrease the itching and scratching. But to know the root cause for itching, physical examination by a Pediatrician or skin specialist is important to look for the presence of lice, skin allergy or infection. Therefore I advice you to consult the doctor for clinical examination and further management. Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know. Regards.
Follow-up: What causes excessive itching on scalp? 5 hours later
could you please elaborate on the oral antihistamin? dosage, how to give it etc? none of the doctors here are taking the scratching seriously. one has prescribed ketokonazole shampoo but does not seem to work. no lice i am sure, will change shampoo brand, but excessive scratching is causing bleeding from scalp every day. he soes not scratch all the time and applying diluted savlon seems to help temporarily. scratching increases while he is asleep or right after waking up mostly. of course it is very humid here in Kolkata and we are sweating a lot. I shampoo his head twice a week, anything else I should be doing?
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 21 hours later
Brief Answer: Physical examination of scalp needed. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for getting back. Oral antihistamines like hydroxyzine, cetirizine can be given in prescribed dose to reduce itching sensation. As these are prescribed drugs I suggest you to give the drug after examination and prescription from your pediatrician. Don't apply Savlon to his scalp as it will cause chemical dermatitis or secondary fungal infection of scalp and may worsen the condition. Observe for any excessive sweating of scalp in sleep which may be the cause for itching. If it is the cause keep his scalp dry by switching on fan during sleep. And get him examined by the doctor to look for any skin changes in the scalp. Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know. Regards.