What causes excessive daytime sleepiness?

Addiction Medicine Specialist
I am a female 54 yr.old woman. lately out of nowhere at any given time I cant keep my eyes open.Its not tired it unbelievable sleepiness. It even occurred while I was driving and I had to pull over because I could not control it. Why is this happening and what can I do?XXXX
Posted Sun, 9 Feb 2014 in Sleep Disorders
Answered by Dr. Preeti Parakh 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Explained below. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Welcome to Healthcare Magic! You are suffering from excessive daytime sleepiness. The most likely possibilities are narcolepsy and sleep apnea. The diagnosis would require investigations like polysomnography and the multiple sleep latency test, as well as a detailed history taking and neurological examination. You can do some screening yourself by applying the Epworth sleepiness scale which is used to measure the excessive daytime sleepiness. You can get it at WWW.WWWW.WW You should see a sleep disorders specialist for evaluation. If that is not possible, try looking for either a neurologist or a psychiatrist with interest in sleep medicine. You will also need to start medication. Modafinil (Provigil) would be a good choice. I hope this clears up things for you. Please feel free to ask if you need any clarifications. Best wishes. Dr Preeti Parakh MD Psychiatry