What causes excessive burping with dull ache on upper right side?

Dec 2012

I am experiencing excessive burping with dull ache on my upper right side for two days
Posted Sat, 25 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 1 hour later
Brief Answer: One of several causes could be responsible Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX Thanks for posting, Sorry for your health troubles. I will try to be as explicit as possible and see if I am able to help you through with this problem. Belching or burping is an act of expelling inhaled air from the stomach which is ofter normal but when it becomes excessive and recurrent with an associated dull upper GI ache, then there is most likely an underlying cause. There are a number of reasons why more air than normal may be swallowed, but the most common are: - eating or drinking too quickly - drinking carbonated drinks - anxiety - smoking - wearing poorly fitted dentures - having an anxiety attack - hyperventilating - breathing through your nose - Some foods - Medications: Fortunately none of your drugs seem to pose such problem - Medical conditions such as GERD, gastritis/peptic ulcer, fructose or sorbitol malabsorption etc It is possible to belch when the stomach is not full of air. This is usually because belching has become a habit or a tool to try to reduce abdominal discomfort. While belching will only relieve discomfort associated with swallowing air, it is not uncommon for people to attempt to relieve other abdominal discomforts in the same way. Normally, I will suggest you contact a medical professional to explore any possible cause so that effective treatment can be provided. At home, I recommend you take in excess fluid especially water and avoid carbonated drinks, drinking or eating quickly etc. Hope this will be helpful and wish you a better health. Dr. Nsah
Follow-up: What causes excessive burping with dull ache on upper right side? 28 minutes later
None of the reasons you supplied apply to me, so it must be a medical condition, so I will make an appointment to see my doctor tomorrow. The burping is not voluntary and occurs just after I eat (all meals). Should I NOT eat until I see my doctor, and just drink water until then?
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 16 minutes later
Brief Answer: You can not stay without food Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX I understand and I was just pointing out factors that lead to this. I do not suggest you stay completely without food. You can reduce daily intake but not to stop completely. Do include intake of water in your daily fluid intake then book an appointment with a doctor. Hope your doctor finds the cause and provides you with appropriate treatment. Hope this helps further. Dr. Nsah